Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Protective Parenting

Maybe I'm overprotective. My daughter is a funny sweet girl who is also a little sensitive. She wants everyone to be friends, and doesn't understand why everyone isn't. (Ahhhh... to be 6!) Her only real friends until kindergarten were her cousins who were friends with her whether or not they wanted to be. She loves them without question no matter what happens with them. They are family and even though she gets annoyed with her brother, she can't understand why sometimes they don't seem to want to hang out with her. Then in kindergarten she wound up with the most amazing class ever. You know that class you dream of having your kid be in - the perfect teacher, the nice kids, happiness all around? That was her kindergarten. There were, of course, a couple kids who were less than perfect sometimes, but that's to be expected. But even they got along with everyone. Those 20-something kids were a cohesive unit.
Now we have her 1st grade class. There are some sweet kids.... most of them are kids that were in her kinder class. And then there are some that make me want to scream. This morning my girl was running to the line (it's always a race to get there first) and one of the boys ran to stop her and literally grabbed her arms and held her back so that someone else could get there first. It was a boys vs girls thing. The boy in question is actually one of the not so bad ones. However, he was manhandling my little girl! And there were TWO parents standing right there, neither of which thought to say, "Um, we don't touch each other like that!" So I had to yell from 20 yards away, "Please let go of her." He apologized right away. He's 6 or 7, and doesn't understand that maybe that's not ok. But the parents do!! Ugh.

Like I said, maybe I'm overprotective.

By the way... despite being held back, she still beat the other kid. Heehee.

3 comments:

Annette said...

I don't think that's being too overprotective at all. I can't imagine how much of a lunatic I will become when I have a child and if that was to happen in front of me!

erin said...

I hate that kind of stuff, keep your damn hands to yourself! Sadly, Brody is one of those kids, he touches everybody, but as a responsible parent I am always there to tell him to keep his hands to himself. Nothing wrong with being a protective parent.

Melissa said...

O is the same way, Erin. But there is a big difference between what a 2-3 year old understands about personal space and a 6-7 year old. At least this kid I could tell to keep his hands off. Sometimes at the park, I'm horrified by what parents let their kids get away with. And I can't say anything because I don't know the kid or the parent! Stupid people. :)